Halloween is the spookiest night of the year, but with some common sense precautions you can keep your pets safe and happy.
- Don’t let your pets eat the treats. Several popular Halloween treats are toxic to pets. Keep the candy bowl for trick-or-treaters where your pet can not get to it. If you realize your pet may have gotten some candy call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control at 888-426-4435.
- Watch the Decorations. Glowing jack-o-lanterns are part of the festivities, however the festivities will quickly come to an end if they are knocked over on accident by your pet, and a fire gets started. Curious kittens risk getting burned when they decide to swat the flame. Make sure extension cords are not something your pet decides to chew on, this could ruin your night.
- Costumes – although many pets do dress for the occasion it’s important that you make sure the costume does not limit their movement, ability to bark or meow, or their ability to breath. Check for small, dangling pieces that can be easily chewed off and swallowed.
- Too many strangers can often be scary for pets. While opening your door for trick-or-treaters it is recommended you keep your pet in a separate room. This prevents them from darting outside to join the excitement or biting a stranger in a scary costume in an effort to protect their owner.
- Do not leave pets outside on Halloween. Unfortunately pranksters have been known to tease, steal, injure and even kill pets on Halloween night. Yes, this is inexcusable, but preventable by making sure your animals are inside.
- Keep glow sticks and glowing jewelry away from your pets. Although most of this liquid isn’t toxic, it doesn’t taste good and causes pets to act strangely and salivate excessively.
- Make sure your pet is properly identified. (microchip, collar, and ID tag) If they do escape for some reason they can be returned to you when someone finds them.
Source: Pet MD & American Veterinary Medicine Association